Monday 20 September 2010

My Weight-LOSS Journey

So my last post ended as I joined my first WeightWatchers meeting!! This was in the very last week of September 2007.

I remember buying all the tools that were available to me. I joined Monthly Pass so I was saving money AND it ensured I would go each week, I bought the essentials pack with all the guide books and a 12 week track book (all of which I found recently), lots of chocolate bars and crisps with low Points values which were only available in the meeting and then I sat down to my first meeting to learn what was going on.

I was made to feel very welcome and enjoyed my first meeting, even though it went by in a bit of a blur and set about my first week on WeightWatchers feeling inspired and knowing that this time I could and WOULD do it.

My first week, I lost 6lbs, which was a great start. (Not everybody has a start like that, and it doesn't mean that it isn't working - it is all down to how your body works) and then I was off. Not long after, seeing my success, my mum joined the same meeting and began to lose weight very successfully too.

As I reached the milestone of losing 10% of my goal weight, my leader took a photograph of me and sent it off to WeightWatchers magazine. A little while later I received a phonecall from them, inviting me to London to be the first person in their new feature "We're on our way!" about people along their weight loss journeys (rather than just those at goal). So in January 2008, I travelled down, was interviewed, had my hair, style and make-up done, photographs taken and appeared in the May 2008 issue of the magazine!

 
I was very focussed and also, I think, very lucky that I didn't have any hugely tricky situations such as holidays to contend with. I managed to navigate my birthday, and Christmas, but that was all I had to plan for (and I did plan... and track... and point!) Let's say I took the "straight down the motorway" route as I say to my members!

I did have the odd wobble, and I had the odd tantrum as well when I'd be within half a pound of a major milestone, like a shiny 7 award or my 50lbs certificate and even my goal weight! In fact, the week before I achieved my goal weight, I actually broke down at the scales - the reason for which I believe can be attributed to what came next!!

On 15th July 2008, I stood on the scales (with my trousers on the floor next to me!!) half a pound UNDER the goal weight I had set for myself, at 12st and half a pound - a total loss of 65lbs!! My leader had popped a party popper and was crying and hugging me! I was crying and so happy!! (And very relieved too as I was going on holiday the following week!)

In the weeks that followed I maintained for a couple of weeks, and then whilst on holiday in France, I managed to gain 11lbs!! My leader nearly collapsed, but I reassured her that there was a reason!!

On July 14th 2008 (the day before I reached goal) I had taken a pregnancy test which was positive! So I was pregnant when I got to goal!!! But I didn't tell her or my fellow members for a few weeks, because pregnant people aren't allowed in meetings and I wanted to get to the "safe" point before I left.

Throughout my pregnancy with Harriet, I put into practice everything I'd learned at WeightWatchers. I didn't deprive myself or my growing baby, but I tried to exercise control and to eat healthily as much as possible. As a result, I didn't put four stone on as I was panicking that I would, just 2.5 stone.

Also, during this period whilst I was pregnant, WeightWatchers magazine and I had another first!! I was the first visibly pregnant woman (apart from the CocoaButter ad woman!) to appear in their magazine - in a feature with the rest of my family and my leader, who between us have lost over 17stone!!

**Pictures to come**

In the January of 2009 (before Harriet was born in March) WeightWatchers introduced the Discover Plan and I was keen to get started on it. I got all the information I needed and started almost as soon as I had given birth. And by the time Harriet had her 6 week check, I had already lost 19lbs (some of this being post-baby fluid weight). At this point, I promised myself that I would get back to goal and then I would become a Leader, something I had been inspired to do by MY leader.

I lost 40lbs this time in total, and applied to become a leader. I was accepted and did my training almost straight away and started running 2 meetings in January 2010 - arguably the hardest time to start in the year, plus it was made more difficult by all the snow this year!

I have now been a Leader for almost 9 months. Some days I love it so much, some days I am stressed beyond belief!! But nothing compares to that feeling of seeing the joy on a member's face when they've lost weight and remembering how it felt for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment