Tuesday 21 September 2010

Eat Less, Move More = Lose Weight.

That's our WeightWatchers ethos simplified into a little nutshell.

Can't see that ever becoming an advertising slogan(!) but basically, that is what we're aiming for. It's not that simple, to which I can attest, but these are the two things we need to really stick to in order to keep at our goal weight for life....

"Eat Less" - Weight loss happens when we take in less calories than we burn on a daily basis (calorie deficit). In order for this to happen, we need to eat less. Simple as. There are other slimming clubs which say "eat as much as you like of this food - as it's 'free' so you can", but although it may be 'free' on their plan, some people have trouble controlling the amount of food they eat, so telling them to keep eating as much as they like is not helpful, surely? Eventually even 'free' vegetables eaten in total abundance can put weight on a person. I used to eat pasta until it came out of my ears because it was classed as a 'free' food on a certain day. It didn't help me to learn control. I was never a particularly unhealthy eater, I just always ate TOO MUCH.

"Move More" - Getting your body moving is good for you. Even if you simply do SOMETHING more than you would normally do each day, like going to the upstairs toilet every day instead of the downstairs one, or walking to get the kids from school rather than driving.... a little goes a long way and exercise keeps your heart, body and mind healthy. I will freely admit that I lost the majority of my weight without lifting my bum off the sofa. I was slim, but I wasn't remotely fit. I wanted to change that, so I began training for the Race for Life this year, which I completed (running at a steady pace) but I didn't enjoy running really, so I'm doing something else now!! Which reminds me - if you're going to some proper exercise make sure it's something you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment